Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Not Fun

So like, I've got to do this long-ish Stockholm assignment (about 3,000 words) by Wednesday June 6th, cos that's when mum comes (it's actually due in the next day, so it doesn't make a huge amount of difference). Then, we fly back to England on June 9th, and I've got to be in Canterbury on the 11th, to hand in the English journal (which totals 4,400 words) and the Professional Studies thing (which I guess is about 1,500 words, since I can use this Stockholm assignment for part of it). So in one week, I need to have written 9,000 words. Is it me, or is that actually pretty unfair? No, no, it's not been my laziness this time! There literally has not been any other chance to do them - I had 3 Canterbury assignments and a Stockholm presentation due in the day Tamsin came; she stayed for 4 days, then the day after she left, I started placement, which only finished 2 days ago. So really, I've not had the chance to do this work. I e-mailed the Stockholm people asking for an extension, saying everything I just said there; their response? "You can hand it on on June the 9th instead of the 7th if you want". Well, since I'm leaving on June 9th, and I'll probably spend a fair part of the 8th packing and cleaning my room, that's actually not an extension at all. I e-mailed saying that, and they've given me until the 15th. Which is good of them, I guess, except that between the 11th-15th, I'll be in Canterbury going to pointless lectures and seminars there as well. I don't have too much right to complain either, because I think I've preeetty much been given the same amount of work as everyone else in Canterbury - it's just been spaced out MUCH worse for me. Also, I've been on a 3week placement, while in Canterbury they've had 2 lectures a week, and then this week off. Oh, and the reason I'm not asking Canterbury for an extension on all this? I got 2 extensions on the last set of assignments; again though, with good cause - one week cos of going to the hospital, and another week for getting 3 weeks less holiday than my peers. Still, I don't want to push it.

So anyway, I'm trying to do this work, and the drilling starts again. I'm starting to wonder if I'm imagining it, because I ONLY hear it when I need to get stuff done. I'm pretty hungry at the moment. I went into the kitchen to get a snack, but the Chinese guy (the one who cooks eggs in black liquid, and defrosts swine limbs in the sink) is in there with some friends. Predictably, they've taken up the whole kitchen, cooking foul-smelling food. The offensive smell though, is nothing compared to the outrageous ugliness of his compatriots. I suppose I should admire the sense of community, but really - get out of my kitchen, you're aesthetically displeasing, and I'm hungry.
In the end, I had 3 satsumas. I'm still hungry.

EDIT: They had already been cooking for a good 30 minutes when I posted earlier. It's more than 2 hours later, and they're still not even eating. Why won't they leave?

No comments: