Sunday, May 20, 2007

Flatmates

As I look out of my window at 11am, watching the flurry of dandelion seeds blowing about in every direction across the sky, it crosses my mind that I haven't really talked much about the people I'm living with. Just to set the scene - everyone's room is en-suite, and we all share a kitchen.

Mohsin - A CREEPY guy from Bangladesh; if you walked into the kitchen and he was there, he'd just stare at you. You'd say "Hi", and he would just continue to fix you with his cold, hard stare. I don't think he was a psycho, it's just how he was. Although, saying that, one girl told me that she went to the police about him because he "showed part of his body" to her friend. Mohsin moved out 2 weeks ago, and a Swedish guy moved in, in his place; I can't remember his name though. Mohsin, by the way, is not to be confused with...
Mahshid - An outrageously attractive girl from Iran. She's only ever in the kitchen to make cups of coffee - I've never seen her make or eat food. Her family were down a week or two ago, including a girl who I guess is her sister - and I thought this sister was Mahshid, and started talking to her, until she said "Oh... I don't live here" - I was thoroughly confused.
Dmytro - I've mentioned him a few times; he's nice, chatty and Ukrainian. He can speak Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, English and Swedish fluently, and he's learning Norwegian now. Although, Norwegian and Swedish are pretty similar - I saw a thing on TV with a Norwegian singer, and as usual it had the subtitles in Swedish; for the most part, it looked like she was just singing what was written, except for a few words. The only difference between the languages that I know, is that in Norwegian, they use ø, where in Swedish they use ö (pronounced like the 'ur' in 'hurt' - which I think can be written Englishly as ə).
Rui - A Chinese guy who is nearly impossible to understand. He's had a friend down for about a month now, and that friend is now inviting friends round. Which I think is a bit annoying when they're using our kitchen - Rui's friend and his friend were cooking a meal yesterday, without Rui, and I was like "Hang on - do either of you actually live here?" I didn't say it out loud though.
Shen - A Chinese girl, who is perfectly pleasant. She's the one, in fact, who told me that she complained about Mohsin.
Carolien and Janneke - I'd love to put them individually, but I wouldn't be able to say enough about either of them. They're the two Dutch girls; they're both really nice, I probably talk to them the next most, after Dmytro (the next most? Is that a phrase?)
Kenan - He seems kinda scary, but he's alright; he's lived in Sweden for 15 years, but he's originally from Bosnia&Herzegovina (he didn't specify which one...), and doesn't really talk that much.
Viktor & Andrew - They shared a room, cos Andrew needed somewhere to stay for a while. Viktor is from Nigeria, and Andrew from Ghana - Andrew is the one who went with me to the hospital. They moved out about a month ago, to be replaced by...
Some Guy - Absolutely no idea what his name might be. He's Chinese as well, and he seems alright, but he cooks the most ridiculous meals. I say meals, but really I mean feasts - he'll always have like, a whole pig's leg defrosting in the sink; one time he was using 7 of the 8 available hobs in our kitchen. And the one thing he does more than anything else, is put eggs in black liquid in a saucepan, which he then leaves on a medium heat for around 5 hours. Maybe more, come to think of it. It's so horrible, it smells disgusting, and stinks out the whole kitchen. But the weird thing? I never see him eating anything. Oh yeah, I also feel like I have beef with him cos of the cleaning rota - it's one person's duty to clean the kitchen for a week; if it's your turn, you have to clean the hobs and the floors and empty the bins, and you get a little piece of paper stuck to your kitchen cupboard door, to remind you (we each have our own individual little cupboards, with locks). It was his turn last week, and for the last two days he's let the bins fill up without emptying them - then this morning, he put the cleaning rota thing on my door, meaning it's my responsibility to do it.

Anyway, that's that - I'll talk about my craaaazy classmates at a later date - Camilla told me that she found this blog, by googling my name, which I've only just realised is potentially frightening. Time to see what "Camilla Segerlund" throws up. And in fact, there are two pictures on the image search - she's in one of them, but I'll let you guess which one...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I just googled myself. that was a quite frightening experience, if thats all people can see when they google me, no wonder im single :) and whats up with all the guinea pigs? swedish people seem to have an obsession with naming their guinea pigs camilla. or maybe the owners are all named camilla. I had guinea pigs when i was a kid, soo. yeah

Tim Ruffer said...

Haha; it's a shame people can't see the 'team' photo from Moodle - y'know, the one where Asta looks MENTAL?
Ah well, at least I know what to name my guinea-pig if I ever get one...

Oh, oh, also - my phone seems to be breaking, and might not receive texts; I think I sent you one yesterday that hasn't gone through yet. Wait, I should e-mail you saying that, you're more likely to check your e-mails than this...